Industrial and Hazardous Waste Permits - New Application
Information for preparing and obtaining a solid waste permit is found in Title 30, Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Subsections 305 42, 50 and 51.
Please allow 450 days for the TCEQ to process your application, or 540 days if the application involves hazardous waste combustion. You may find the application forms at Industrial and Hazardous Waste Forms and Guidance.
The TCEQ adopted amendments to 30 TAC Chapter 39, Public Notice, requiring newspaper notice in an alternative language for certain permit applications. These rule amendments were adopted and became effective November 30, 2005. Applications filed on or after that date are subject to the requirements for alternative language notice newspaper notices. A checklist for determining whether the alternative language notice requirement applies to a particular hazardous and/or industrial solid waste permit application is included in the TCEQ Part A and Part B hazardous waste permit applications. You may find the forms, along with notice language templates translated into Spanish, and the Public Notice Verification Form at Industrial and Hazardous Waste Forms and Guidance.
What you need to do for a new permit application:
- We encourage you to hold a pre-application meeting with the public to identify potential issues. You are also encouraged to hold a pre-application meeting with us and notify us of your intent to file a permit application;
( 30 TAC Chapter 39 and 335.391)
- If applicable and necessary, submit an original updated Part A application form plus 3 full copies (to determine if you need this, see 30 TAC 305 42(d), 51(a), or 51(b) );
- Submit an original Part B application or Permit Applicaton to Store or Process Industrial Nonhazardous Waste, whichever is applicable, plus 3 full copies, and include at least:
- 6 additional copies of Section I: General Information of the Part B application;
- A map showing the boundaries of all adjacent parcels of land. The map should be a USGS map, a city or county plat, or another map, sketch, or drawing with a scale adequate enough to show the affected landowners;
- The names and mailing addresses of all the adjacent landowners and other nearby landowners who might consider themselves affected by the activities described by this application;
- A completed Core Data Form. (Instructions for completing the Core Data Form);
- A completed Part B Administrative and Technical Evaluation Checklist (TCEQ-00136) on a CD or DVD.
- Submit a mailing list identifying all persons specified in 30 TAC 39.13;
- Send all the above items with a copy of the application fee check by certified mail or other means that establish proof of delivery to:
- At the same time you submit the permit application, send a letter transmitting a check for the new application fee to the TCEQ Financial Administration Division at the address below. Be sure to refer to the Facility's Solid Waste Registration Number in the transmittal letter.
- The application will receive two reviews: administrative and technical;
- After the application is determined to be administratively complete, place a copy of the permit application and supporting documents in a location accessible to the public in the vicinity of the permitted facility;
- We will send notice that the application is administratively complete and available for public review by first-class mail to all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13. Notice language for publication, and instructions, will be provided to the applicant by the agency;
- A public meeting will be held regarding an application for a new facility, in accordance with 30 TAC 39.503(e)(1). The meeting will be held during the technical review period;
- You must publish a notice in a major local newspaper of general circulation at least once each week during the 3 weeks before a public meeting which will be held in the county where the facility is located. Specific requirements of the notice are found in 30 TAC 39.5(g). Notice language will be provided to the applicant by the agency;
- We will send notice of the public meeting by first-class mail to all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13;
- At the conclusion of the technical review, we will prepare a technical summary which sets forth the principal facts and the significant factual, legal, methodological, and policy questions considered in preparing the draft permit. We shall send this summary together with the draft permit to you, EPA, and on request, to any other person;
- After all comments regarding the initial draft permit are received, we will complete the final draft permit;
- Additional notice language for publication, and instructions, will be provided to the applicant by the agency within 10 working days of completion of the final draft permit. As set out in 30 TAC 39.503, publication of the notice opens a public comment period. We must also notify all persons all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13; and
- Within 10 working days of determining the outcome of the final draft permit, we must notify all persons all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13 and all persons who submitted written comments on the final draft of our decision to approve or deny the permit.
- Waste Permits Division (MC-126)
- PO Box 13087
- Austin, TX 78711-3087;
- Financial Administration Division (MC-214)
- PO Box 13088
- Austin, TX 78711-3088;
Contact us if you have any questions.