Water Quality: Rivers, Lakes, and Estuaries
Developing Surface Water Quality Standards
- Surface Water Quality Standards
Establishes explicit goals for the water quality of streams, rivers, lakes, and estuaries throughout the state.
- Procedures for Implementing Water Quality Standards in Permitting
Explains how water quality standards are applied to permitted wastewater dischargers.
Monitoring and Assessing Surface Water Quality
- Surface Water Quality Monitoring
Coordinating the collection of physical, chemical, and biological samples from more than 1,800 sites and over 50 continuous-monitoring stations.
- River Basins: Clean Rivers Program
Regional water authorities working with the TCEQ for clean water and science-based decisions.
- Texas Integrated Report of Surface Water Quality
Describes the status of Texas’ natural waters based on historical data.
Protecting and Restoring Surface Water Quality
- Watershed Action Planning
Coordinating, documenting, and tracking the actions necessary to protect and improve the quality of the state’s streams, lakes, and estuaries.
- Targeting Limits: Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Program
Improving impaired surface waters by reducing pollution.
- Pollution from Runoff: Nonpoint Source Program
Implementing activities that prevent or abate pollution caused by the runoff of small amounts of pollutants from a large number of sources.
- Galveston Bay Estuary Program
Balancing economic and human needs with available natural resources in the Galveston Bay watershed.
- Coastal Bend Bays and Estuaries Program
Improving the health of the bay system through a voluntary partnership with industry, bay users, local governments, and others.
Data and Maps
- Surface Water Quality Data Viewer
Use this viewer to locate monitoring stations and download water quality data.
- Clean Rivers Program Data Tool
Extract data from the TCEQ’s Surface Water Quality Information System (SWQMIS).
- SWQMIS Parameter Search
A query tool for finding physical, chemical, and biological data available in SWQMIS.
- Managing Surface Water Quality Data
Guidance and forms for submitting or requesting water quality data from SWQMIS.
- Texas Water Data
An index of available water quality data.
- Hydrography Maps and Data
Atlas of Texas Surface Waters and GIS data for classified segments and other hydrology layers.