Updates to the Procedures for Surface Water Quality Monitoring
The SWQM Procedures Manual describes methods for collecting and analyzing biological community and habitat data and physical and chemical monitoring methods for water, sediment, and tissue. The Procedures Manual was most recently published in 2012 (Volume 1) and 2007 (Volume 2).
The process for making interim changes to the manuals is outlined in the Procedures for Making Interim Changes to the SWQM Procedures Manuals.
The updates provided below supercede the corresponding items in Volume 1: Physical and Chemical Monitoring Methods (RG-415) (August 2012).
Unless otherwise indicated, links are PDF documents.
Summary of Changes
- Interim Changes Summary Table (March 2013)
This table provides a summary of major and minor changes to the SWQM Procedures Manual, Vol. 1.
- Primary Contact Recreation Observations (August 2012)
Adds information on making observations related to contact recreation use at routine monitoring sites
- Example Field Data Sheet (October 2012)
- Multiprobe Temperature Sensor Check (October 2012)
Provides guidance for conducting required temperature sensor check during routine maintenance.
- YSI 6-Series Multiprobe Optical Dissolved Oxygen Membrane Replacement (November 2012)
Provides guidance for locating and entering optical membrane coefficients during annual membrane replacement.
- Hydrolab Multiprobe Calibration/Maintenance Log and pH Calibration Standards Table (May 2013)
A template for the minimum requirements for a Hydrolab multiprobe calibration and maintenance logbook and the table for pH calibration standards temperature corrections.
Procedures for Shipping Bacteriological Samples (August 2012)
This change applies to TCEQ SWQM staff only.
These updates provided below supercede the corresponding items in Volume 2: Methods for Collecting and Analyzing Biological Assemblage and Habitat Data (RG-416) (June 2007).
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control (April 2012)
Provides information on current QA/QC procedures.
- Biological Monitoring Fact Sheets (February 2013)
Updates activities associated with Aquatic Life Monitoring, Aquatic Life Assessments, Use Attainability Analysis, and Receiving Water Assessments.