Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


Complaint Arrow Questions or Comments:
You are here: Home / Licensing / Licenses and Registration Information / Customer Service Inspector (CSI)

Customer Service Inspector (CSI)

Information about obtaining a license to inspect for cross connections in water systems.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) promulgated new and revised rules on September 27, 2007 which will affect many licensing programs.

Please review the URL below to become acquainted with the newly adopted Chapter 30 rules for Title 30 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 290 Exit the TCEQ. 

Customer Service Inspector (CSI) Licensing Program

The Customer Service Inspector Licensing Program staff can answer routine operator inquiries. Below is the phone number and other means for contacting the program:

  • Location - The first floor in building D of the TCEQ complex located at 12100 Park 35 Circle in Austin, Texas.
  • Office Hours - 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday (excluding Exit the TCEQ holidays).
  • Phone number - 512/239-6133
    • Press #1 for New Applications or Exams
    • Press #2 for Renewals
  • Fax - 512/239-6272
  • Email address -
  • Mailing Address - TCEQ, Customer Service Inspector (CSI) Licensing Program, MC-178, PO Box 13087, Austin, TX 78711-3087

Return to top 

Customer Service Inspector

Return to top 

Why do I need a license?

In accordance with state law, Title 30 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 290 Exit the TCEQ, a customer service inspection certificate shall be completed prior to providing continuous water service to new construction, or on any existing service when the water purveyor has reason to believe that cross-connections or other potential contaminant hazards exist, or after any material improvement, correction or addition to the private water distribution facilities has occurred. Individuals with the following credentials shall be recognized as capable of conducting a customer service inspection certification: Plumbing Inspectors or Water Supply Protection Specialists licensed by the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners; or Customer Service Inspectors holding a valid license from the TCEQ.

Return to top of Operator Section 

How do I become licensed?

To become licensed as a Customer Service Inspector, you must have the required education and experience, complete the related training, pay an application fee, and pass the Customer Service Inspector (CSI) licensing examination. More information about this exam can be found under computer-based testing and general exam schedule.

CSI Licensing Information
License TypeValidity PeriodApplication or Renewal FeeEducation RequiredExperience RequiredTraining CreditExam Required
CSI 3 years $105
$111 Effective 01/01/2008
High School Diploma or GED 2 years(1) 10 Hours Yes

Return to top of Operator Section

What type of training must I complete for a license?

Required courses are available as classroom training.

List of Approved Training Providers (PDF) 

Return to top of Operator Section 

What do I need to know about an application?

Return to top of Operator Section 

Where can I obtain an application?

Applications are available through the TCEQ's Customer Service Inspector Program in the Austin central office or at any TCEQ regional office. The application must be completed in full, signed, dated, and submitted with the appropriate application fee (check or money order only). All fees are non-refundable.

Return to top of Application Section 

What do I need to provide with an application?

In addition to the standard information (name, address, social security number), you will need to submit supporting documentation such as:

  • Copy of certificate of completion for unverified training
  • Copy of college transcripts used for experience substitution
  • Copy of current out-of-state license (if applying for reciprocity)

All statements and qualifications provided by each applicant are subject to verification.

Return to top of Application Section

When do I pay the application fee?

You must pay the application fee when you arrive to take the Customer Service Inspector exam. The application fee is valid for one year or four exams, whichever comes first.

Return to top of Application Section 

What if my application is deficient?

Applicants who are deficient after an initial review by the staff may be asked to submit supplemental information for consideration if the staff determines that the original application did not contain all relevant information. The applicant must submit this information within 120 days of notification of deficiency or the examination, application and fee will become invalid.

Application fees are not refundable. 

What do I need to know for an exam?

Return to top of Operator Section

What do I need to study?

Study materials for each type and level of licensing include:

  • Training manuals for the corresponding required training courses
  • The rules, Title 30 TAC Chapter 30, regulating licensing of public system personnel
  • The rules, Title 30 TAC Chapter 290, regulating the operation of public water systems

Return to top of Exam Section 

Where and when are exams held?

Exams are regularly scheduled and administered in the Austin central office and TCEQ regional offices in accordance with an established exam schedule.

Return to top of Exam Section 

What is the minimum passing score?

All applicants for licensing, except individuals applying for licensing by reciprocity, must pass the appropriate exam with a minimum score of 70 percent. Within four weeks of the exam, applicants can check their exam results on the web. In six weeks applicants will receive their examination results by mail.

Return to top of Exam Section 

If I fail, how many times may I retake the test?

You may retake the test a maximum of three times within one year of the original examination date. You may retest as soon as you receive notice of failing the exam, provided TCEQ has an approved application and the testing center can accommodate the retest. After the fourth unsuccessful test in the one-year period, you will need to submit a new application and fee.

Return to top of Exam Section 

How long do I have to retake the test?

You must retake the test within one year of the original examination date before submitting a new application and fee.

Return to top of Exam Section 

What is acceptable experience?

Approved areas of work include:

  • Operation or maintenance of a public drinking water treatment or distribution system
  • Performing activities requiring a master or journeyman plumbing license
  • Conducting building or construction inspections or
  • Performing duties related to this profession approved by the executive director.

1 year of college (32 semester hours) or an additional 20 hours of training credits may be substituted for up to 1 year of the experience requirement.

Return to top of Operator Section

If I hold a license in another state, can I transfer it to Texas?

Texas issues licenses of reciprocity on a case-by-case basis with all other states. To be considered for reciprocity:

  • You must hold a current Customer Service Inspector license
  • Your license must have been obtained by exam
  • The license must be mandatory under the other state's laws
  • The equivalent education, training, experience, and fee requirements for the type and class of Texas license being applied for have been met.

Return to top of Operator Section 

How do I renew my license?

You will be mailed a renewal notification to the last known address on file at least 60 days before your license expires. This notification will give you instructions for renewing your license using the Texas Online license renewal process.

If you are unable to renew on-line, please contact our office immediately to receive a printed renewal application. You can contact the TCEQ Licensing Section at or by phone at (512) 239-6133. Please be sure to include your full name and license number with your request. Remember, it is your responsibility to timely submit a renewal application.

Credit is given for attendance at TCEQ-approved training courses, correspondence courses, seminars, and association meetings on the basis of one credit hour per hour of attendance.

To check how many credit hours you currently have on file, click here.

To renew this license class ...You must obtain this much continuing education ...You must pay a renewal fee of ...The license will remain valid for an additional ...
Customer Service Inspector(CSI) 16 Hours $111 3 years

Renewal applications are mailed to the operator's address on file. The TCEQ is not responsible for undelivered mail.

Return to top of Operator Section

What are some of my responsibilities to the TCEQ?

The operator is responsible for:

  • Notifying the Austin central office of any address changes;
  • Maintaining personal training records, including:
    • Name of training course
    • Location of training course
    • Name of training provider and
    • Date of training course 

I lost my license or pocket card. How do I replace it?

To replace your lost license, you can contact the licensing section at (512) 239-6133 or download the request form. The replacement license is $20.00. Be certain to specify whether you are ordering a wall certificate or pocket card (license card).

Return to top of Operator Section