Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Types of Authorization for Internal Combustion Engines

Tells how to apply for a flexible or construction permit that covers internal combustion engines if not covered by a PBR or under the de minimis rule.

The following list of permit authorizations is arranged in order of the time and effort required to obtain authorization.

  • Permits by Rule (PBRs) for Internal Combustion Engines. These links will take you to the specific PBR that may apply to your facility. Review the general information for qualifying and applying for a PBR. Contact air permitting staff regarding partial permitting policies.
    • Title 30, Texas Administrative Code, Section 106.511 - Portable and Emergency Engines and Turbines
    • Section 106.512 - Stationary Engines and Turbines
  • Standard Permit - Certain engines used for the generation of electricity must use this standard permit instead of the PBR.
  • Construction Permit - If you cannot qualify for another type of permit authorization, you must apply for a case-by-case construction permit under 30 TAC Chapter 116.
  • Flexible Permit - 30 TAC 116, Subchapter G

Questions? We Can Help

If you have questions regarding this guidance please contact us.