Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Requirements for Using Land Over Closed Municipal Solid Waste Landfills

Application process and rules for developing and using land over closed MSW landfills. Application forms for a development permit, registration, or disturbance authorization.

Overview of Requirements for Property Owners and Developers

If you are planning to develop a property, you may need to determine if it contains a closed MSW landfill and obtain a permit or other authorization before you disturb the landfill cover or construct any improvements.

If you own an existing structure over a closed landfill, you may need to obtain a registration and notify persons leasing or occupying the building.

Application Process

Determine if a Closed Landfill is Present and if You Need an Authorization
How to determine if land has a closed MSW landfill and proceed if you want to use that land.

Determine What Type of Authorization You Need
What type of authorization you need if you have an existing building over a closed landfill, or intend to develop land containing a closed MSW landfill, or disturb the landfill cover.

Preparing and Submitting an Application
How to apply for a development permit, registration, or authorization to disturb the cover of a closed MSW landfill.

Requirements During and After Development of a Property
Managing contaminated soil and groundwater and materials removed from a landfill. Requirements for monitoring, recordkeeping, and reporting.

Application Forms

Application Forms for Use of Land Over a Closed MSW Landfill


The rules governing the use of land over closed MSW landfills are contained in Title 30, Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 330, Subchapter T .

Closed Landfill Inventory

Inventory of Closed MSW Landfills
Information about an inventory of closed and abandoned municipal solid waste sites with a link to a historic data file, and how to contact the Council of Governments representing your county for more information.

Contact MSW Permits Section

Please contact the MSW Permits Section if you have questions about using land over a closed MSW landfill.