Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Who Can Help With Your Environmental Complaint

Find out if TCEQ or another agency can help you with your concern. Because many problems fall under the jurisdiction of other agencies, there are times when calling an agency other than TCEQ will resolve your concern faster.

If your complaint is about one of the following issues below, please visit the corresponding TCEQ page for in-depth information.

  • On-site Sewage Facilities - TCEQ regulates on-site sewage facilities (OSSF)—commonly referred to as septic systems, however you should first direct complaints related to OSSF systems to the permitting authority. Find the Authorized Agent for your County.
  • Landscape Irrigators - You may need to file complaints about landscape irrigation first with the local program (city, town, district, water supplier, etc.) for evaluation. If no local program exists or you do not receive a timely response, TCEQ may be able to assist with your concern.
  • Nuisance Odors - Since people react to odors in different ways, and since environmental odors usually come and go, we have specific odor investigation procedures to help us evaluate nuisance odor complaints.

Issues with state or local water bodies

  • Sheens in the water.
  • Death of fish or aquatic life from an identifiable pollution source.
  • Unauthorized discharges of sewage or wastewater.
  • Water rights.

Issues with drinking water

Issues with water quality

  • Lack of stormwater controls such as silt fencing.
  • Sediment discharge onto your property.
  • Tracking of mud or dirt into a roadway.
  • Concerns about lack of soil stabilization at a construction site.
  • Water bodies that appear to be polluted.

Issues with air quality outside of Dallas, El Paso, Fort Worth, Galveston County, Houston, and Harris County

  • Particulate matter or dust significantly impacting your property from and identifiable source.
  • Odor or dust from oil and gas well pads or compressor stations.
  • Paint overspray impacting stationary surfaces on your property.
  • Unauthorized operation of facilities emitting air contaminants such as high volume autobody refinishing, abrasive cleaning, resin usage,  concrete batching, rock crushing.
  • Unauthorized outdoor burning including materials such as rubber, metal, chemicals, treated lumber.
  • Car dealerships engaging in the sale of vehicles without appropriate emissions controls.

Issues with solid waste

  • Unauthorized storage of more than 500 scrap tires.
  • Individuals engaged in cash for trash.
  • Used oil disposal by a registered entity.
  • Asbestos disposal at landfills.
  • Contamination of land from hazardous or industrial waste.
  • Concerns about transfer facilities.
  • Over accumulation of waste by a hazardous waste generator.
  • Unauthorized operation of facilities related to solid waste such as composters, recyclers, industrial or hazardous waste generators, waste transporters.

Problems with an individual or company licensed or registered by TCEQ

  • TCEQ issues a variety of permits, registrations, and other authorizations.
  • We license landscape irrigators, wastewater operators, municipal solid waste operators and more individuals and companies.

Requests for information about possible pollution sources, including permitting status

  • Air permits
  • Dry cleaners
  • On-site sewage facilities
  • Petroleum storage tanks
  • Public water systems
  • And many more

Water rates or prices; Certificates of Convenience and Necessity; sale, transfer, and merger (STM) of water and wastewater utilities

Private water well

Flooding concerns

Natural gas odors from a suspected service line leak

Flying insects or other vector issues

  • Contact your local city or county officials.
  • Contact local health department.

Concerns about asbestos

Indoor air quality

Issues with noise or light including blasting activities

  • Contact local police or city officials to see if local ordinances are in place.
  • For noise issues related to mining, blasting, or quarry construction, contact the Mine Safety Health Administration.

Odor or pollution from idling or mobile sources such as vehicles or trains

Issues with mold including with mold assessors and remediators

Issues about air quality under the jurisdiction of one of your local air programs

Odor issues that impact you only while driving on a public road

  • Contact your local city or county officials.

Concerns about worker safety

Pesticide or herbicide applicator licensing

Concerns about roadway damage or traffic

  • Contact your local city or county officials.
  • Contact the Texas Department of Transportation for concerns about their roads or projects.
  • Engage a civil attorney for advice or assistance.

Dust from a county road not under construction located outside of City of El Paso

  • Contact your local County Commissioner.

Concerns about chemtrails or contrails from aircraft

Release of freon or refrigerant

Issues with vehicle inspections

Unauthorized waste disposal at an unauthorized location (illegal dumping)

Trash collection services

  • Contact your local city or county officials.
  • Contact your service provider directly.

Lead paint abatement

Contaminated gasoline, diesel, or other fuels

Gas pump or scale accuracy

Oil and gas operations other than emissions, odors, or wastewater discharges