Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Air PBR 106.371: Cooling-Water Units

Facilities used for cooling water units must meet the conditions stated in 30 TAC Sections 106.4 and 106.371 to be permitted by rule. No registration or fee is required. Recordkeeping requirements are discussed.

Note: The Office of the Secretary of State has moved their content to a new server. Please use this link to access Texas Administrative Code Title 30 until TCEQ is able to update the linked content.

Water cooling towers, water treating systems for process cooling water or boiler feedwater, and water tanks, reservoirs, or other water containers designed to cool, store, or otherwise handle water (including rainwater) must meet the conditions stated in Title 30, Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC), Section 106.371 , to be permitted by rule. To qualify for this permit by rule (PBR), your facility must also meet the general conditions stated in 30 TAC Section 106.4 .

To find out whether your facility meets the general conditions stated in Section 106.4, complete our PBR Applicability Checklist, TCEQ Form - 10149.

Quick Screen

Systems containing water that has been used in direct contact with gaseous or liquid process streams containing any of these substances are not eligible for this PBR:

  • carbon compounds
  • sulfur compounds
  • halogens or halogen compounds
  • cyanide compounds
  • inorganic acids
  • acid gases

If your facility cannot comply with these conditions, see Types of New Source Review Authorizations for other options.


This PBR does not require you to register or pay a fee.


Under 30 TAC Section 106.8 , your records must identify the rules under which your facility is operating and demonstrate compliance for a rolling 12-month period. Be sure you keep at least these records:

These records must be kept on site and readily available on request for inspection by the TCEQ or any air pollution control program that has jurisdiction. If you have questions about the type of records you should keep, contact the Air Program in the TCEQ regional office that serves your county.

Questions? We Can Help

If you have questions about this or any other PBR, contact us:
phone: 512/239-1250