Questions or Comments:
You are here:

Stormwater Discharges from Small Construction Activities: Site Notice Steps

Regulations for small construction sites---those that disturb from 1 to less than 5 acres---under Construction General Permit TXR150000.

The Construction General Permit (TXR150000) is for construction activities disturbing at least 1 but less than 5 acres or is part of a common plan of development disturbing at least 1 but less than 5 acres.

You will need to follow these steps to discharge stormwater from a small construction site to any surface water in the state:

  1. Review your facility's compliance history ranking:

      • If your facility either does not have a compliance history ranking or has a ranking of "high" or "satisfactory," continue with Item 2.
      • If it is "Unsatisfactory," then your facility is not eligible for coverage under a general permit but it may be eligible under an individual industrial wastewater permit.
  2. Read the Construction General Permit (application/pdfTXR150000Adobe Acrobat PDF Document) to make sure it applies to your situation. (Help with PDF.)
  3. Adhere to the requirements of the Construction General Permit (application/pdfTXR150000) Adobe Acrobat PDF Document.
  4. Prepare and implement a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan. For more details, please refer to Part III of the Construction General Permit (application/pdfTXR150000Adobe Acrobat PDF Document).
  5. Sign and post a application/pdfconstruction site noticeAdobe Acrobat PDF Document.
  6. At least 2 days before beginning construction, provide a copy of the site notice to the operator of any Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) into which storm-water will be discharged.
MS4s include streets, channels, gutters, ditches or anything else that is publicly owned, designed or used to collect or transport storm-water. For more information, see What Is a "Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System" (MS4)?.

As long as you meet the conditions of this general permit, you are authorized to discharge stormwater.

No notice of intent (NOI), notice of termination (NOT), or fee is required under this option—as long as the requirements of this general permit are followed.

This particular general permit will expire at midnight on March 5, 2023.

You can view some of the relevant Rules for Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activities.

Contact us if you have questions.