Questions or Comments:
You are here:

Assistance Tools for Construction Stormwater General Permits

Resources to help small businesses and local governments comply with the Construction Stormwater General Permit, TXR150000.

TPDES Construction Stormwater General Permit | Access Permit | Determine Applicability | Obtain Authorization | Find Resources | Additional Help

The 2018 construction general permit (CGP) became effective March 5, 2018. The 2018 CGP Fact Sheet and Executive Director's Response to Comments are available on the Additional Guidance and Quick Links: Construction Activities web page.

What is the TPDES Construction Stormwater General Permit (TXR150000)?

Stormwater runoff from construction activities can have a significant impact on water quality. As stormwater flows over a construction site, it picks up pollutants like sediment, debris, and chemicals, and deposits them in creeks, streams, rivers, lakes, etc. The construction stormwater general permit is one way to authorize this discharge.

How can I access a copy of the permit?

You can access the Construction Stormwater General Permit, application/pdfTXR150000 online.

Do I need to obtain stormwater coverage at my site?

If you discharge stormwater associated with a construction activity, you may need authorization. The need for coverage is based on the area of land disturbed.

  • If you disturb less than one acre* - no coverage is needed under this permit.
  • If you disturb one or more acres* - coverage is needed under this permit.

*If your construction activity is part of a larger Common Plan of Development, you must consider the total area of acres disturbed - even if the development is completed in phases.

If you need additional help to determine applicability, visit the Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activities: Am I Regulated? webpage.

Back to the top of the page Back to top

How do I obtain authorization under this permit?

To view step-by-step instructions on how to obtain authorization under this permit, including links to additional resources, visit the webpage listed below based on the size of your construction activity.

The fee for authorization under the Construction General Permit is $225 and is payable online through STEERS with a credit card or bank draft.

Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWP3)

      - An SWP3 is a document that outlines your plans, or best management practices, to control contaminants that may be discharged in stormwater runoff. We have developed templates to help you prepare a complete SWP3. Update your SWP3 as conditions change at your facility.

Back to the top of the page Back to top

Where can I find resources to comply with this permit?

The following resources are available to help you comply with this permit.

General Compliance Overview

Surface Water Identification

  • Surface Water Quality (Segments) Viewer - Using this interactive map viewer, users can view stream segments and water bodies monitored by TCEQ. Users can also select a particular segment or water body to view additional information such as segment name, ID number, description, and impairment status.
  • Texas Integrated Report of Surface Water Quality - To determine if the water body receiving your stormwater discharges is impaired and to identify the pollutant associated with that impairment, you must review the current Index of All Impaired Waters. For permitting purposes, Category 4 and 5 represent the list of impaired waterways. Only a portion of impaired waters are associated with an established TMDL.
  • Segments with Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDL)

Edwards Aquifer Requirements

If construction is taking place over the Recharge, Contributing or Transition Zone of the Edwards Aquifer, additional requirements may apply.


PLEASE NOTE: Effective September 1, 2018, applicants must submit the NOI, NOT, NOC and LREW forms using the online e-permitting system (STEERS) available through the TCEQ website or request and obtain an electronic reporting waiver. A separate waiver form is required for each permit, and may be obtained by contacting the Stormwater Program at 512-239-3700.


Back to the top of the page Back to top

Where can I find more information and assistance?

TCEQ's Small Business and Local Government Assistance section offers free, confidential help to small businesses and local governments working to follow state environmental regulations. Call us at (800) 447-2827 or visit our webpage at

Back to the top of the page Back to top