Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


Questions or Comments:
You are here: Home / Permitting / Radioactive Materials / Radioactive Material: Am I Regulated?

Radioactive Material: Am I Regulated?

Overview of regulated radioactive materials and the agencies that regulate them in Texas.

If you use, handle, process, transport, transfer, receive, store, or dispose of radioactive material in Texas, you could be regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) , Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS), or Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC).

The disposal of other than non–oil and gas naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) is regulated by the TCEQ. Examples include:

If you use, transport, process, treat, or store radioactive material, you might be regulated by the Texas Department of State Health Services/Radiation Control Exit the TCEQ, who:

  • regulate and license the possession, receipt, use, handling, transfer, transport, and storage of all radioactive material, including low-level radioactive materials and naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) Exit the TCEQ except for that radioactive material received by a licensed by-product or low-level radioactive waste disposal facility.
  • register radiation-producing equipment
  • operate an emergency response program

Various oil and gas–related activities are regulated by the Railroad Commission of Texas Exit the TCEQ, including:

  • uranium exploration
  • surface mining
  • the disposal of oil and gas NORM Exit the TCEQ

Contact us if you have questions.