Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Class V Injection Wells Regulated by the TCEQ

Process for obtaining an authorization for Class V injection wells, which apply to a wide variety of activities that release water or another liquid into the ground. Links to relevant forms and rules.

If you are interested in applying for a new or modifying an existing Class V authorization regulated by the TCEQ, you are encouraged to contact the TCEQ Underground Injection Control staff before you submit an authorization form. In such communications, TCEQ personnel will supply any information relevant to your application, including the following:

After the application is received, technical review will be conducted, including some of the following tasks, depending on the type of well:

      • Our staff will review the geohydrologic and engineering aspects of the proposed well facility;
      • you, as the applicant, may receive a request for additional information;
      • if your application is complete and compliant with applicable rules and statutes, a letter of approval will be sent to you;
      • if your application is incomplete or not compliant with the applicable rules, you will receive a letter outlining the deficiencies and you may contact TCEQ staff to discuss the application and your possible alternatives; and
      • the executive director may require the owner or operator of an injection well authorized by rule to apply for and obtain an injection well permit. The owner or operator shall submit a complete application within 90 days after the receipt of a letter from the executive director requesting that the owner or operator of an injection well submit an application for permit. Cases for which a permit may be required include, but are not limited to, wells not in compliance with the standards required by 30 TAC 331.9 .

Aquifer Storage and Recovery (ASR)

The TxASR applet provides a user-friendly interface with interactive features to assess the feasibility of water recharge, storage, and recovery. This applet is not intended as a substitute for modeling requirements in an ASR application. 

Nonhazardous Brine/Drinking Water Treatment Residuals (DWTR) Disposal

Please feel free to contact the UIC staff in the Radioactive Materials Division if you have questions.

The UIC Permits Section distributes emails to share the latest information about the TCEQ UIC program. Click on this link if you would like to subscribe to the GovDelivery UIC Bulletin NEW