Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

How to Notify Customers of a Noncommunity PWS of an Acute Chemical Violation

Step-by-step instructions for preparing and issuing mandatory notices of violations of maximum contaminant levels for nitrate or nitrite in drinking water.

These instructions apply to you if you own or operate a noncommunity public water system—for example, the water system at a camp, prison, school, or similar facility. To notify customers of a violation of the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for nitrite or nitrate, you must:

  1. Notify customers as soon as possible, but in no case later than 24 hours after we notify you of the MCL violation. [Title 30 Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC) Paragraph 290.122(b)(2)]
  2. Use the appropriate mandatory language [30 TAC Subsections 290.122(b)&(d)]:
  3. Issue the notice in at least one of these ways [30 TAC Subparagraphs 290.122(b)(2)(B)&(C)]:
    • by hand delivery
    • by continuously posting the notice in conspicuous places within the area served by the system until we tell you that you may take it down [30 TAC Subparagraph 290.122(b)(3)(B)]
  4. Within 10 days of when you issue this or any other notice mentioned in these steps, submit a copy of the actual notice and the signed Certificate of Delivery of Public Notice to Customers (form TCEQ-20208) to us via email to, via fax to (512) 239-6050 [30 TAC Subsection 290.122(f)], or via mail to:
    Public Notice Coordinator, MC-155
    PO Box 13087
    Austin TX 78711-3087
  5. If you hand-delivered the initial notice, then, for as long as the violation exists, hand-deliver a follow-up notice every three months. [30 TAC Paragraph 290.122(a)(3)(C)] After each follow-up notice, complete TCEQ-20208 as described in Step 4 and submit it to us with a copy of the notice issued.
  6. When you have corrected the violation, issue another notice in the same way you issued the original notice. [30 TAC Paragraph 290.122(b)(4)] Then, as described in Step 4, complete TCEQ-20208 and submit it to us with a copy of this notice.

If you have any questions about these instructions, e-mail us at or call (512) 239-4691 and ask to speak to a staff member regarding public notification.