Questions or Comments:
You are here:

How to Notify Customers of a Noncommunity PWS of a Nonacute Chemical Violation

Step-by-step instructions for preparing and issuing mandatory notices of violations of maximum contaminant levels for chemicals (other than nitrate or nitrite) in drinking water.

These instructions apply to you if you own or operate a noncommunity public water system—for example, the water system at a camp, prison, school, or similar facility. To notify customers of a violation of the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for chemicals listed in the rules other than nitrite or nitrate, you must:

  1. Notify customers within 30 days of when we notify you of the MCL violation. [Title 30 Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC) Paragraph 290.122(b)(2)]
  2. Use the appropriate mandatory language. [30 TAC Subsections 290.122(b)&(d)]
  3. Issue the notice in at least one of these ways [30 TAC Subparagraphs 290.122(b)(2)(B)&(C)]:
    • by hand delivery
    • by continuously posting the notice in conspicuous places within the area served by the system until we tell you that you may take it down [30 TAC Subparagraph 290.122(b)(3)(B)]
  4. Within 10 days of when you issue this notice, send a copy of the actual notice and the signed certificate of delivery to us by mail at:
    Drinking Water Quality Team Public Notice Coordinator MC-155
    PO Box 13087
    Austin TX 78711-3087
    or by fax to 512/239-6050 [30 TAC Subsection 290.122(f)].

If you have any questions about these instructions, e-mail us at or call 512/239-4691 and ask to speak to a member of our PDW Drinking Water Quality Team.