Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Water Supply Contracts

Requirements and rules related to the sale of state water and the use of water supply contracts.

Water Supply Contracts are legal agreements between a water right holder (seller) and another entity (buyer) who wishes to purchase water for a specified amount of time.

If you are the buyer, anything you do with the water you purchase must already be included in the existing water right.

Or you may apply for a permit, but you must follow the provisions under the existing water right.

If not, the water right holder may apply to amend their water right to accommodate this use and amount.


If you purchase water from a water right holder, you must do one of the following:

  • Submit to the TCEQ a contract showing that the authorization is included in the underlying water right.


  • Obtain a new water right with the contract as an alternate source.

Existing Water Right Holder

If you are the existing water right holder, and the buyer does not do one of the above, you must:

  • Apply for an amendment based upon the contractual arrangements with the purchaser.

Exemptions are outlined in Title 30, Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC) Subsection 297.101 (b) .

How to Submit a Water Supply Contract to the TCEQ

Submit the following information:

  • a vicinity map(s) showing the diversion point and place of use
  • a signed water supply contract that includes:
    • Base water right number
    • Seller and buyer
    • Contract begin and end dates
    • Annual quantity being used (acre-feet)
    • Type of use
    • Contract price

Send to:

How to Apply to Amend an Existing Water Right

Applications for Surface Water Rights and Ownership Changes

Requirements for water rights applications, and instructions and forms for modifying an existing water rights permit.


For More Information

To find out about the status of a contract, or for help submitting one, please contact the Water Rights Permitting Team at 512-239-4600 or e-mail us at