Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Water Rights Permits: Annual Water Use Reporting

Report forms and guidance to help water right holders submit an annual water use report.

Who needs to submit an annual Water Use Report (WUR)?

Each holder of a water right issued by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is required to submit a water use report each year, even if no appropriated water is used.

If you are in a watermaster area, contact your watermaster program for requirements to follow in lieu of those outlined here.

A water right holder who fails to file a water use report may be liable for a penalty each day in an amount not to exceed:

  • $100 per day for a water right authorizing 5,000 acre-feet or less per year; or
  • $500 per day for a water right authorizing more than 5,000 acre-feet per year.

A water right that is not used or reported for a period of 10 years, could be subject to cancellation.

Where do I get an annual WUR form and can I fill it out online?

The TCEQ mails Water Use Report (WUR) forms to Water Right holders in January of each year. Each individualized form is sent to Water Right holders based upon the authorized use(s) listed in the permit. If you have not received yours, please contact the Water Rights Compliance Assurance Team at the contact information below.

WUR forms can now be filled out and submitted online through the Surface Water Rights Data (SWRD) module of SUNSS (Single-Use Non-CROMERR Submission System).

To submit your Water Use Report online, go to the SUNSS login page. In order to enter data for a WUR, the user will need to provide a Form Identification Code that is specific for each WUR. The Form ID code will be printed on the back of the WUR forms that are mailed out to Water Right holders every January for annual reporting. Note: The new online system is only available for non-Watermaster areas.

Can I upload WUR data using TCEQ Excel spreadsheet templates?

Water Right holder now have another option for submitting their Water Use Report data online. There are six TCEQ Excel spreadsheet templates available for uploading your water use data. Each template is based on WUR use. Below are the downloadable WUR Excel files.

When are reports due?

WURs are due on March 1 of each year. You may be subject to a penalty for non-reporting.

If I am unable to submit my usage online, where do I send my report?

Completed forms can be sent to:

Water Availability Division, MC-160
P.O. Box 13087
Austin TX 78711-3087

You can also submit your report by e-mailing a completed PDF of the form(s) to

What if I no longer own a water right, or just acquired one?

What should I do if I would like to abandon my water right?

If you no longer wish to retain ownership of a water right, and want to relinquish the water right back to the state, submit the Application for Voluntary Abandonment

Where can I find more information about reporting requirements?

The Texas Water Code outlines the annual reporting requirements for water right holders and the penalties for failing to follow the law.

Who do I contact if I have questions?

Water Rights Compliance Assurance Team

Phone: 512-239-4600
Mailing Address:
Water Availability Division, MC-160
P.O. Box 13087
Austin TX 78711-3087

Small Business and Local Government Assistance Section

Phone: 800-447-2827

Also find us on the Web at