Questions or Comments:
You are here:

Discharges of Petroleum Contaminated Water: Am I Regulated?

How to determine whether a specific activity would be covered under the general permit TXG830000, which covers certain discharges of petroleum-contaminated water in Texas. Links to application instructions and other related information.

If you plan to discharge water containing petroleum substances, to any water in the state of Texas, from the following sources:

  • groundwater pump tests,

  • groundwater, surface water, and soil remediation activities,

  • cleanup activities following spills that occur during transportation of petroleum, fuel or petroleum substances,

  • testing spill buckets and sumps, as required by 30 TAC §334.48(g),

  • removal of water from underground storage tank systems previously containing petroleum fuel or petroleum substances,

  • removal of accumulated groundwater from excavation sites, or

  • removal of accumulated water from utility vaults,

Then you may qualify for coverage under General Permit TXG830000. You can find more information about this general permit and the application forms.

If you don't qualify for coverage under General Permit TXG830000, you may need to obtain an individual permit for any discharge released.

Please note that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), not the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), has authority over discharges from activities under the jurisdiction of the Texas Railroad CommissionExit the TCEQ . They include discharges associated with oil, gas, and geothermal exploration and development. For more information on this subject, please see the Memorandum of Agreement Adobe Acrobat PDF Document between TCEQ and EPA concerning the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES).

Please feel free to contact us if you have questions.