Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Oil and Gas Wastewater Permits

Wastewater permitting authority for oil and gas discharges and information about the stakeholder group and HB 2771.

Permitting Authority

The TCEQ has state and federal jurisdiction over wastewater discharges into water in the state resulting from crude oil or natural gas exploration, development, or production.

The Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC) retains jurisdiction for disposal of wastewater from oil and gas activities via land application (reuse, such as dust suppression and impoundment maintenance; evaporation; or irrigation).

For facilities located in the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) retains federal jurisdiction and the TCEQ has state jurisdiction.

Back to the top of the page Back to top

House Bill 2771

TCEQ requested authority from the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to issue federal permits for produced water, hydrostatic test water, and gas plant effluent discharges resulting from certain oil and gas activities into water in the state as required by House Bill (HB) 2771, 86th Legislature 2019. EPA approved the request effective January 15, 2021. The authority for these discharges has been transferred to the TCEQ from the EPA and the Railroad Commission (RRC) of Texas.

Back to the top of the page Back to top

Permits for Oil and Gas Facilities

  • Available: Texas Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (TPDES) General Permit TXG310000.
  • Available: Outer Continental General Permit WQG280000
  • Available: Hydrostatic Test General Permit TXG670000
  • Available: Application forms for individual permits are available at TCEQ's webpage for Individual Permits.

Back to the top of the page Back to top

How to apply for TCEQ’s general permits

Please visit the State of Texas Environmental Electronic Reporting System (STEERS) Support Page for guides on creating an account and submitting a Notice of Intent (NOI) for permit authorization.

Back to the top of the page Back to top

Oil and Gas Stakeholder Group

If you are interested in the implementation of HB 2771, please see TCEQ's webpage for the oil and gas stakeholder group, which is open to the public.

To be added to the stakeholder list for future meetings and correspondence about this bill, or if you have other comments or questions, please email

Back to the top of the page Back to top

Additional Information

Back to the top of the page Back to top

Contact Us

For questions or comments about HB 2771 or oil and gas wastewater permits, contact us at 512-239-4671 or

TCEQ's Small Business and Local Government Assistance Section offers free, confidential help to small businesses and local governments working to comply with state environmental regulations. Call us at (800) 447-2827 or visit TexasEnviroHelp.