Occupational Licensing General Information
- Scheduling to Take an Exam
- Taking an Exam
There are two methods to take an exam: Computer-Based or Classroom at the TCEQ Regional offices:
Computer-Based Testing (CBT) (Pre-approval is required):
We strongly encourage you to take advantage of the CBT opportunities. If the CBT exam you need is not offered or you are not able to take computer based examinations, the paper-based exams are offered in the regional offices.
- Immediate exam score!
- Immediate exam analysis feedback!
- Faster receipt of licenses!
- Immediate retesting avaibable!
Many Computer-Based Testing exams are available in the following available exams and the exam locations:
- Amarillo (1)
- Arlington (4)
- Austin (11)
- Brownsville (15)
- Bryan (9)
- Fort Worth (4)
- Galveston (12)
- Houston (12)
- Huntsville (12)
- Kileen (9)
- Nacogdoches (10)
- San Antonio (13)
- Texarkana (5)
- Texas City (12)
- The Woodlands (12)
- Victoria (14)
- Weatherford (4)
- Wichita Falls (3)
Classroom Regional Paper-based Exam: Preregistration is REQUIRED to take an exam at one of our regional offices and seating is limited. No walk in applicants will be allowed to take an exam. Complete the Classroom Regional Exam Registration form for the Region you wish to take the exam in and choose an exam type and date to register for this type of exam.
CBT is not offered at TCEQ Regional Offices.
Registering for Computer Based Testing
Pre-approval is required to test via CBT. To obtain pre-approval for CBT testing you will need to:
- complete license requirements for:
- submit an application with the appropriate processing fee to TCEQ Occupational Licensing, MC-178, PO Box 13087, Austin, TX 78711-3087
- To obtain an application, go to the CBT Application Request Form and submit your request. An application packet will be mailed to you upon receipt of your request.
Upon receiving an approval letter, the applicant will need to:
- make an appointment with a registered Test Center to take the exam
- pay a nominal fee to the Test Center
Retesting by CBT after failing a written test is allowed, so long as your application is in an approved status.
Online Registrations For Paper-based Tests* In The TCEQ Regions
Registration is required. (Walk-ins are not allowed.) Please visit the following TCEQ Regional Office Registration Form web pages to register for taking a paper-based test:
*Regional Offices do not offer CBT exams.
How to Obtain an Exam Application
- Applicants taking an exam through Computer-Based Testing are required to submit an application and receive approval prior to taking an exam.
- Applicants taking a Paper-Based exam do not need to request an application prior to taking the exam. Exam applications will be provided the day of the exam.
Supplemental Application Documentation
Supporting supplemental documentation may be required, such as a copy of a certificate of completion for each correspondence course, certificate of completion for unverified training, college transcripts used for experience substitution, and/or current out-of-state license (if applying for reciprocity). All statements and qualifications provided by each applicant are subject to verification.
If TCEQ staff determines that the original application did not contain all relevant information then the application will be considered deficient and the applicant will be required to submit supplemental information for consideration. The applicant must submit this information within 120 days of notification of deficiency, or the examination, application and fee will become invalid.
The cost of most exams* is $111.00.
For guidance on how to navigate the ePay system, please see Using TCEQ ePay to Pay Licensing Application Fees.
To pre-pay for your exam please use ePay , the TCEQ's online payment application. Print out your receipt and bring a copy of it with you on the day of your exam as proof of payment.
*With the exception of LPST Corrective Action Specialist and Underground Storage Tank Contractor exams which are $232. LPST Correction Action Project Manager for the Professional Engineer and LPST Correction Action Project Manager for the Professional Geoscientists are no charge for current P.E and P.G. licenses holders. Members of the military and their spouses may be exempt from application fees. Please see our web page titled Occupational Licensing Provisions for Veterans and Military Service Members and Spouses for more information.
If you have a disability and need special accommodations when you take a licensing exam, please fill out the ADA request form before you register for the exam. By contacting the regional office in advance, you will help us make sure that we have the accommodations you need in place on the day of your exam.
To cancel a scheduled exam you must contact the regional office in which you were scheduled.
Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your exam time (unless otherwise specified by the Region).
Bring With You On Exam Day
The Following items ARE allowed in the exam rooms:
- Basic Calculators
- Number 2 pencils
- Government Issued ID
- Check/ money order/E-Pay receipt
- Confirmation of exam registration/training certificates
- Re-test/deficiency letters
With the exception of "A" exams, there are NO lunch or restroom breaks allowed.
Do Not Bring With You On Exam Day
The Following items are NOT allowed in the exam rooms:
- Cell phones, pagers, two-way radios, electronic equipment, etc.
- Food or Drinks
- Study Guide/Notes
- Customer Service Inspector (CSI)
- Irrigation Technician
- Leaking Petroleum Storage Tank Specialist (LPST)
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
- On-Site Sewage Facility Maintenance Provider (OSSF MP)
- Water Treatment Specialist (WTS)
- Underground Storage Tank Contractors(UST)
Most exams are also offered through Computer-Based Testing. Visit the Computer-Based Testing website for a complete list of available exams.
- The Landscape Irrigation Exams, Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Exams and many of the On-Site Sewage Facility Exams are administered by the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX). Review the TEEX webpage for the availability and locations of these specific exams.
- For information regarding "A" Water and Wastewater Exams, contact TCEQ at 512-239-6133 or email@example.com.
Per TCEQ Occupational licensing Rules §30.14(a) and §30.24(b)(2), the licensing/registration application fee is due with the submitted application. The fee covers both processing the application and sitting for the exam.
- If you arrive at an exam session for an initial exam (not a re-test) without proof of payment, check, or money order, you will be turned away from the exam; and
- If we receive an application without proof of payment, check, or money order, the application will not be processed until that payment is received.
This fee may be made online prior to the exam or a check/money order will be accepted the day of the exam. Cash payments are not accepted. The application fee is valid for one year or four exams, whichever comes first. All fees are non-refundable.
Computer-Based Testing requires the application fee to be submitted with the application.
If an approved applicant fails the exam they may retake the test a maximum of three times within one year of the original examination date. Retesting is possible as soon as an approved applicant receives a notice of failing the exam in the mail or by CBT, provided TCEQ has an approved application and the testing center can accommodate the retest. After the fourth unsuccessful test in the one-year period, the applicant will need to submit a new application and fee.