As of September 9, 2016, your license application must be preapproved before you can register to take an exam. Once approved, you will receive an approval letter in the mail. This letter must be brought with you when you take your exam. A 6-month grace period will be granted to comply with this new policy. No applicant will be allowed to sit for an exam as of March 1, 2017 unless preapproved. Approval of an application takes approximately 6-8 weeks (if all supporting documentation is provided and there are no deficiencies). To get preapproved by the March 1, 2017 deadline, applications must be submitted to TCEQ Occupational Licensing prior to January 1st, 2017 .
Apply for Your License Using E-Application for Licensing
As of September 9, 2016, you may also submit your application online. Paper applications will still be accepted on an as needed basis. To apply for a license after September 9, 2016, use our new electronic application, e-Application. E-App is the online version of the application you must submit and have approved by TCEQ prior to registering for the corresponding exam. e-App captures the same fields as the current paper application. If you have special circumstances and require a paper applications, please submit a request to the licensing email box at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the nearest regional office to pick up a paper copy. Also, training providers of core and initial classes have copies of the paper application.
Occupational Licensing Exam Information and Requirements
- Schedule to Take an Exam
- Computer-Based Testing (CBT)
- Paper-Based Testing
- Testing Methods
- Exams Offered
- Application Details
- TCEQ Exam Application Fee and Payment
- Exam Day Policy
- Retaking an Exam
- Special Accommodations for a Disability
Computer-Based Testing (CBT)
Registration is required to sit for an exam -- Walk-ins are not allowed. Please visit the following TCEQ regional office registration form webpages to register for taking a paper-based test:
Regional Offices do not offer CBT exams.
Find Testing Location
Find the nearest location to take an exam by Exam Type
There are two methods to take an exam: Computer-Based at one of several testing centers or Paper-Based at one of the TCEQ Regional offices. Preapproval of your application is required for both testing methods, before you may register to take an exam.
We strongly encourage you to take advantage of the CBT opportunities. If the CBT exam you need is not offered or you are not able to take computer based examinations, the paper-based exams are offered in the regional offices.
Visit the Computer-Based Testing webpage for more information. Some of the benefits are:
- Immediate exam score!
- Immediate exam analysis feedback!
- Faster receipt of licenses!
- Immediate retesting available!
Many Computer-Based Testing exams are available in the following exam locations:
- Austin (11)
- Brownsville (15)
- Bryan (9)
- Corpus Christi (14)
- Fort Worth (4)
- Galveston (12)
- Houston (12)
- Huntsville (12)
- Kileen (9)
- Nacogdoches (10)
- San Antonio (13)
- Texarkana (5)
- Texas City (12)
- Victoria (14)
- Weatherford (4)
- Wichita Falls (3)
Classroom Regional Paper-based Exam: Preregistration is REQUIRED to take an exam at one of our regional offices and seating is limited. No walk in applicants will be allowed to take an exam. Register for a paper-based exam for the Region you wish to take the exam in and choose an exam type and date to register for this type of exam.
CBT is not offered at TCEQ Regional Offices.
- Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT) - written portion only
- Customer Service Inspector (CSI)
- Irrigation Technician/Inspector
- Leaking Petroleum Storage Tank Specialist (LPST)
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
- On-Site Sewage Facility Maintenance Provider (OSSF MP)
- Water Treatment Specialist (WTS)
- Underground Storage Tank Contractors(UST)
Most exams are also offered through Computer-Based Testing. Visit the Computer-Based Testing website for a complete list of available exams.
- The Landscape Irrigator Exams and many of the On-Site Sewage Facility Exams are administered by the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX). Review the TEEX webpage for the availability and locations of these specific exams.
- For information regarding "A" Water and Wastewater Exams, contact TCEQ at 512-239-6133 or email@example.com.
- Applicants taking an exam through Computer-Based Testing (CBT) and Paper-Based Testing (in TCEQ Region Offices) are required to submit an application through e-Application and receive approval prior to taking an exam.
Supplemental Application Documentation
Supporting supplemental documentation may be required, such as a copy of a certificate of completion for each correspondence course, certificate of completion for unverified training, college transcripts used for experience substitution, and/or current out-of-state license (if applying for reciprocity). All statements and qualifications provided by each applicant are subject to verification.
If TCEQ staff determines that the original application did not contain all relevant information then the application will be considered deficient and the applicant will be required to submit supplemental information for consideration. The applicant must submit this information within 120 days of notification of deficiency, or the examination, the application becomes void. At this point, a new application and fee will be required.
TCEQ Exam Application Fee and Payment
The occupational licensing exam application fee is $111, and is paid when applying for your licensing using e-Application. The application fee is valid for one year or four exams, whichever comes first. All fees are non-refundable.
Please note that you will not be able to schedule an exam without your application being approved. When you application has been approved, you will receive an approval letter.
Exam Day Policy
Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your exam time (unless otherwise specified by the Region).
The Following items are NOT allowed in the exam room:
- Hats/Jackets (if items such as coats are necessary due to weather, they must be placed with the proctor);
- Electronic Equipment (cell phones, pagers, two-way radios, all devices with a camera, etc.);
- Food or Drinks (except for 8 hour exams); and
- Study Guides/Notes (with the exception of MSW A & B).
The Following items ARE allowed in the exam room:
- Basic Calculators;
- Number 2 pencils;
- Government Issued ID;
- Check/ Money Order/E-Pay Receipt;
- Confirmation of Exam Registration/Training Certificates;
- Re-test/Deficiency Letters; and
- MSW A & B Study Guides/Notes.
With the exception of "A" exams, there are NO lunch or restroom breaks allowed.
To cancel a scheduled exam you must contact the regional office in which you were scheduled.
If an approved applicant fails the exam they may retake the test a maximum of three times within one year of the original examination date. Retesting is possible as soon as an approved applicant receives a notice of failing the exam in the mail or by CBT, provided TCEQ has an approved application and the testing center can accommodate the retest. After the fourth unsuccessful test in the one-year period, the applicant will need to submit a new application and fee.
Special Accommodations for a Disability
If you have a disability and need special accommodations when you take a licensing exam, please fill out the special accommodations request form before you register for the exam. By contacting us in advance, you will help us make sure that we have the accommodations you need in place on the day of your exam. Contact TCEQ at 512-239-6133 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Do not register for your exam until you have been approved for your special accommodation request.