Registering and Self-Certifying Underground Storage Tanks
Please note: USTs storing regulated substances that are not motor fuels do NOT require Self-Certification or Delivery Certificates. The definition for motor fuels can be found in Title 30, Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC), Section 334.2, Paragraph (59).
To register your regulated petroleum storage tank with the TCEQ and receive a delivery certificate, you must:
- Complete and submit form TCEQ-0724, UST Registration and Self-Certification Form.
- Not owe the agency any fees or penalties.
- Self-certify compliance with applicable TCEQ rules in the following areas:
- All regulated tanks at your facility have been registered.
- All UST fees billed to date to the current owner must be paid in full, including annual fees plus all late fees, penalties and interest for that facility as described in the rules Title 30 TAC Chapter 334, Subchapter B. As of September 1, 2007, Petroleum Storage Tank owners were no longer assessed annual registration fees. Any fee that required payment prior to September 1, 2007 (Fiscal Year 2007 and all prior years) will continue to be the responsibility of the tank owner. This includes fees for tanks that were not properly registered by September 1, 2007.
- Financial Assurance (e.g. insurance) requirements have been met. As of September 1, 2007, all annual Self-Certification forms must be accompanied with proof of financial assurance.
- Your UST systems must meet the technical standards for:
- release detection
- corrosion protection
- spill and overfill prevention
- Make sure each UST fill pipe at your facility has been clearly labeled according to the uniform system described in the rules [Title 30 TAC Chapter 334, Subchapter A, Section 8(c)(5)(C)].
When you complete these steps, you will receive a "delivery certificate." You must post this certificate at the facility. If an unexpired delivery certificate is not available, fuel suppliers are prohibited from delivering motor fuel into your USTs.
If you have questions about these requirements, call the TCEQ:
- Tank registration and tank fees owed: 512/239-2160
- Financial assurance: 512/239-0300
Completing Form TCEQ-0724, UST Registration and Self-Certification Form
TCEQ-0724 is available in pdf format:
To Learn More about PST Regulations
For more information, see: