Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Occupational Licenses: Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT)

How to obtain a license to test backflow prevention assemblies on any water system.

Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Information and Requirements

View all Occupational Licensing and Registration Information and Requirements

Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Licensing Overview

State Regulations:

A person who repairs or tests the installation or operation of backflow prevention assemblies must hold a license issued by the TCEQ. Backflow prevention assembly testers are qualified to test and repair assemblies on any domestic, commercial, industrial, or irrigation service. Backflow prevention assembly testers may test and repair assemblies on fire lines only if they are permanently employed by an Approved Fireline Contractor.

Back to the top of the page Back to Top

Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester License Requirements

Education and Work Experience

  • Education: High school diploma or General Equivalence Diploma (GED)
  • Work Experience: two years of experience. Work experience must be in an approved area which includes, but not limited to:
    • Operating or maintaining a public drinking water system.
    • Installing or repairing residential, commercial, or industrial drinking water treatment equipment.
    • Installing or repairing lawn irrigation systems.
    • Performing activities requiring a master or journeyman plumbing license.
    • Installing or servicing fire suppression sprinkler systems and lines.
    • Operating or maintaining a domestic wastewater treatment facility.
    • Performing health inspections that requires a registered sanitarian; or
    • Performing duties approved by the executive director.
    Acceptable Work Experience Substitute

    Applicants with a High School diploma or GED may substitute up to one year of experience with one year of college credit (32 semester hours) or 20 hours of approved training in addition to the required 40-hour backflow prevention assembly testing training course.

Training Course

BPAT approved training

  • Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (40-hour course)

Application and Examination

Submit an application and fee ($111) to the TCEQ. Once your application is approved, sign up for an exam at your local computer-based testing center.

The written portion of the BPAT exam will only be administered by a TCEQ approved Computer-Based Testing location. The practical skills portion of the exam will still be administered by the training provider.

Back to the top of the page Back to Top

Continuing Education and Renewal Requirements

Continuing Education Requirements

All backflow prevention assembly tester licenses require 24 hours of Continuing Education (CE) to be eligible for renewal. Of the 24 hours, 8 hours must be practical skills (hands-on) training. CE hours are given for successful completion of TCEQ approved training courses.

CE hours must be acquired prior to the expiration of the license and may be obtained any time during the validity of the license. Search the License Information webpage to view current CE hours earned.

Renewal Requirements

Occupational licenses are valid for three years then must be renewed with the TCEQ. Renewal applicants must complete the required CE requirements, submit a renewal application and criminal history attestation, and pay the renewal fee. Detailed information can be found on the renewal webpage.

Important information BPAT Specific Requirements: 24 hours of continuing education are required to be eligible for renewal. Of the 24 hours, 8 hours must be practical skills (hands-on) training.

Back to the top of the page Back to Top